Thursday 14 July 2011

Orton vs Christian IV? Great...I think.

I was so happy that Christian won the title after a great ladder match against Alberto Del Rio in Extreme Rules. It was perfect because it just felt right. After Edge’s retirement, he was the most logical choice to be the next champion and he has entertained us with so many great matches over the years and it felt deserved.

That all changed when he lost the title to Randy Orton two days later and, like many people, I was pissed. While I was unhappy about him losing, it was also because I hate it when people lose their first title defence; especially after winning the title on the very first time. I know that a lot of people have not watched Smackdown since that happened; however, I wanted to see where this would go (plus the fact that I can watch it at work on a Friday evening). The result has been two entertaining matches at Over the Limit and Capitol Punishment and a slow heel turn for Christian as he becomes increasingly desperate to regain the championship.

The ending of the match at Capitol Punishment, in which Christian was pinned even though his leg was under the rope, has resulted in Christian getting another title shot at the Money in the Bank with stipulations that would make a lawyer proud. Now, whilst I have enjoyed the storyline and matches so far, I’m not sure if I want to see this match again. At Money in the Bank, the match will be go one of two ways.

The first is that Christian finally becomes a 2-time World Heavyweight Champion. While I would be happy for him, I wouldn’t feel the same as I did when he first won it. One of the blogs that I read is Kick-Out Wrestling by Razor and one of his recent podcasts was an interview with Jeff Katz, creator of Wrestling Revolution. Near the end of the interview, Jeff mentioned Christian’s title win as “an earned moment” and he’s right. As I mentioned at the beginning of this article, it felt that he deserved it. Out of all the people who became World Champion for the first time, I would say that Mick Foley’s was more of an earned character moment than Christian and it turned out of the deciding factors in the Monday Night Wars (thanks to Tony Schiavone and Eric Bischoff). The main difference between the two is that Mick Foley stayed a face when he won the WWF Championship again and, now Christian is a heel, it just wouldn’t feel the same if he wins it again, which is a shame.

The second is that Orton wins yet again, most likely winning in a dubious way that would loophole Christian’s contract. I don’t think that Orton has lost a one-on-one match by pinfall since The Most Must-See Superstar in Miz-tory cashed in his Money in the Bank contract in November. I think Orton is a decent wrestler but I don’t like his gimmick because I don’t get the fact that he behaves just as badly, if not worse, than the heels and yet he gets cheered for it. If Orton wins again, then I would feel like the entire storyline has been a complete waste of time. If it ends with Orton staying the champion, then what was the point of it all?

After their last two matches, a part of me is looking forward to it. However, in a big title match, you want to be happy or unhappy (but not extremely pissed off) with the ending. I won’t feel happy or unhappy with the ending, no matter what way it goes. I won’t even feel pissed off, just in a way...indifferent and you don’t want that as a wrestling fan.

So, to Randy Orton and Christian, I say good luck in the match and I’m sure that you will put on something that will entertain the WWE Universe. However, please accept my apology in advance because, whilst I think it will be a good match, I will be indifferent to the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment